29 September 2007

Seven Roosting in Flin Flon, Manitoba

This morning Don McCall alerted me that Seven had roosted at these coordinates last night. Since I was so close, I drove up to Flin Flon, a full-blown mining town (zinc and gold) situated on the Manitoba/Saskatchewan border. I arrived at nightfall and triangulated his position to a lakeshore SE of town. We probably passed close by each other today. I'll go check out the area in the morning. Nice coincidence that he was passing through here at the same time. The area is dense boreal forest (birch, spruce) interspersed with many small complex finger lakes. It is apparently quite a draw for campers, fishermen and canoeing. I can see why. Quite beautiful.

There were groups of literally hundreds of Horned Larks foraging along the gravel edges of the highway today. Several Gray Jays too. Also the lakes to the south are HUGE, more like inland fresh-water seas, and they provide a perfect hunting opportunity for peregrines. They love to catch migrant birds over large bodies of water. No place to hide. I can now understand why Linda spent alot of time there last fall.


(Highway north into Manitoba)